You are here: Adopt a Greyhound
in California > Online Greyhound Adoption Application
Adoption Application: Adopting Your First Greyhound Dog
Apply Here: Online Adoption Form or Printable Adoption Form
Adopting a greyhound, like any pet, is a serious responsibility requiring a long-term commitment. It is our goal in this program to ensure that each guardian understands and has prepared to provide for the physical, emotional/psychological and financial needs of each greyhound in its new adopted home. We feel that each greyhound deserves this.
A Greyhound in Your Home
Greyhounds live up to their nickname as “the world’s fastest/greatest couch-potato”. They spend their day sleeping and enjoy curling up on their bed or lying beside you much of the day. They actually require less exercise than most dogs. With little body fat, and a poor tolerance for outdoor temperature extremes, each hound is placed with the understanding that they will be cared for as an indoor-only companions.
Rescued greyhounds are very affectionate toward those they know and trust, and by nature are gentle and calm. As such they would be a poor choice for a guard or protection dog, as they bark less than other breeds.
They thrive most when they are included as integral members of the family, and will reward their guardians with years of companionship, loyalty and trust.
It usually takes a few weeks for your hound to settle into the surroundings and routine of your individual home.
Once acclimated, most guardians find greyhounds very easy to live with.
The Adoption Process
GSGA does not adopt dogs,”on-the-spot”. Instead, we believe it is our deliberate and conscientious approach that results in so many successful permanent placements. The actual adoption process is not complicated.
- The first step is to fill out an Adoption Application, which gives the adoption coordinator an idea of your lifestyle and accommodations for the dog;
- Once the questionnaire is processed the adoption coordinator will contact you to arrange a home visit. The purpose of the home visit is to insure the dog's new environment will be safe and secure. This is another good opportunity to ask any questions you may have. We welcome any questions you might have.
- Once your application has been approved we will do our best to select and place a greyhound in your home that best matches your lifestyle and profile.
- There is an ownership contract to sign, and a one-time Adoption Fee of $300.00. This non-refundable fee reimburses us in-part for costs for the following services:
- Spay or Neuter
- Comprehensive health exam
- Vaccinations: Rabies, DHPP
- Dental exam and cleaning
- Temperament profiling and cat-testing
- Adoption training manuals
- Titer, SNAP and Heartworm Tests